Coconut Palm Sugar
Did you Know?
To many indigenous island communities, the coconut sugar palm is known as the "Tree of Life" – this species (different than the Palm Oil tree) grows in diverse wild-life supportive agro-ecosystems, and can produce over 100 types of products from which farmers can earn a profitable, sustainable living. Producing 50 – 75% more sugar per acre than cane sugar while using less than 1/5th the nutrient resources, the World Bank's FAO contends that it's the single most sustainable sweetener in the world!!
FAQ's1. What about the Orangutans? Indonesia is comprised of over 17,500 islands - wild orangutans live on just 2 of these - but NOT where this product is harvested, for your karmic peace of mind.
2. What does it taste like? Just like sugar – with a hint of caramel.
3. What is the texture like? Kinda like a dry light brown sugar.
4. Where is it from? Product of Indonesia.
5. Is it really delicious and will I love it? Ohhhhhh yeaaahhhhh.
Donating ToLaunched 2009/2010 www.orangutan.org.au/projects.html
FactsSustainably Sweet is our brand, and tastes like raw or brown sugar, only better !! This sun-kissed sweetener is the crystallized nectar of the tropical coconut palm tree blossom, harvested high in the swaying canopy by traditional farmers, then evaporated and crushed into a unique, unbleached, not-too-sweet sugar alternative. So go ahead, indulge that sweet tooth !!
Nutritional BenefitsBoasting a naturally Low Glycemic Index (GI 35) that is nearly half the GI of cane sugar (GI 68) and lower than honey (GI 55) and even agave (GI 42)…….this super Polynesian food has the added bonus of a nutritional content richer than possibly all other commercially available sweeteners! Contains protein (12 amino acids) and comparatively high mineralization including potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc and iron.
Suggested UsesReplace 1:1 with cane sugar in your coffee/tea/chai/cocoa or homemade lemonade/iced tea. Alternatively, it's easily incorporated into all your favourite dessert recipes.
RAW FOODIES REJOICE!
Raw Chocolate ‘Pie’BASE
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (chopped finely)
- 1 cup raw macadamias (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp finely grated orange peel
- * Mix all ingredients.
- * Press into lined cake tin base or pie plate and chill in refrigerator for 30mins.
- (If the base doesn’t look as though it will stick, add 1-2 tsp of water to mix and a little more coco oil.)
- 4 large ripe avocados
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- * Blend all ingredients till smooth and creamy.
- * Taste the mix; add more cacao powder or palm sugar to get desired taste.
- * Spread mix on top of base.
- * Chill for 1-2 hours, use a sharp knife to cut small slivers (it's very rich!) - enjoy!